DepEd Memo No. 15, s. 2017 | 2017 National Intellectual Disability Week
0 1 FEB 2017
DepEd Memo No. 15, s. 2017
2017 NATIONAL INTELLECTUAL DISABILITY WEEK
To: Bureau and Service Directors
School Division Superintendents
Public and Private Elementary and Secondary School Heads
- The Department of Education (DepEd), in collaboration with other government and nongoverment organizations (NGOs), will celebrate the 2017 National Intellectual Disability Week with the theme Karapatan at Pantay-Pantay na Pagkakataon Para sa Lahat from February 14 to 20, 2017. This is pursuant to Presidential Proclamation No. 1385, s. 1975 entitled Designating the Period from February 14 to 20, 1975, and Every Year Thereafter, as Retarded Children’s Week.
- This Department encourages all schools especially those with Special Education (SPED) programs to conduct any of the following suggested school-based activities during the week:
- Inviting the public to visit schools and classes or other educational service providers for children and youth with intellectual disabilities;
- Holding cultural shows, sports fest, photo and work exhibits, advocacy campaign in radio and television shows and other activities, featuring success stories;
- Showcasing the potential capabilities of children and youth with intellectual disabilities;
- Conducting dialogues with parents, service providers and stakeholders on the theme of the Celebration;
- Discussing effective practices and systems of approach to better improve inclusion of children and youth with intellectual disabilities in the classroom, school and community during meetings in regular classes or school programs; and,
- Organizing day camp to provide opportunities for children and youth with disabilities to explore and learn while having fun and to highlight the Celebration of the National Intellectual Disability Week.
- The National Capital Region (NCR), and the Quezon City Government (QCG), in coordination with DepEd-NCR, Philippine Association for Intellectual Disability Inc., Jaycess Capitol Inc-Quezon City, Manila Water (MW) and the Metropolitan Water and Sewerage System (MWSS), will sponsor the Annual Camp Pag-ibig at the Balara Filter Plant, Quezon City on February 19, 2017. Children enrolled in special classes, including teachers, administrators and supervisors are encouraged to join the activity. Conduct of similar activities in all regions is encouraged.
- All activities to be undertaken should not disrupt regular classes nor compromise adherence to DepEd Order No. 9, s. 2005 entitled Instituting Measures to Increase Engaged Time-on-Task and Ensuring Compliance Therewith. Activities which are community-based should be conducted during Saturday and Sunday of the week.
- All regional offices shall submit a report on the conduct of activities related to the Celebration within 30 days after the observance through email address: bld. sid@deped. gov.ph.
- For more information, all concerned may contact the Bureau of Learning Delivery-Student Inclusion Division (BLD-SID), Department of Education (DepEd) Central Office, 4th Floor, Bonifacio Building, DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City at telephone no. (02) 631-9993 or through the email address stated above.
- Immediate dissemination of this Memorandum is desired.
LEONOR MAGTOLIS BRIONES
DepEd Memorandum No. 10, s. 2016
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects:
- CELEBRATIONS AND FESTIVALS
- SPECIAL EDUCATION
Click here to download a full copy.
DM No. 15, s. 2017: 2017 National Intellectual Disability Week – (Download)